Got a question? We’ve got answers. Click a question below to reveal the answer.
- If you are the innocent party, Acorn Rentals will be paid the replacement vehicle charges by the insurance company of the driver who caused the accident. There will be absolutely no cost to you.
- If you are at fault in the accident and have replacement vehicle cover in your insurance policy we can usually recover all of the costs from your insurance company on your behalf. We will need a copy of your insurance policy.
- If you are at fault in the accident and do NOT have replacement vehicle cover in your policy you can rent a car from us at our competitive rates.
If your claim is approved by Acorn, you can receive a replacement when your vehicle is being admitted to your smash repair shop or if it is not drivable, you can receive it straight away. Usually approval can be given within minutes once we are given the required information, however in some cases where liability is in doubt approval can take longer.
Acorn Rentals always try to save hire costs for the insurance industry, so we try and provide small cars when we can. However, we have a full range of vehicles and can provide like for like if needed. See our fleet list HERE for more information.
- If your vehicle is repairable, in most cases you can keep our vehicle for the duration of the repair.
- If your vehicle is a total loss and you are claiming through the at fault party’s insurance company, you may keep the replacement vehicle until your settlement cheque has been received, or until the insurance company notifies Acorn that settlement has been made. We will give you as much notice as possible once we receive instructions from the insurance company.
- If your vehicle is a total loss and you are claiming settlement from your own insurance company, you may keep the vehicle until you have received your settlement cheque or for 10 working days, whichever comes first.
Yes, the replacement vehicle will be fully insured. There is a non- waiverable insurance excess of $385.00 on all vehicles which is only payable if you are involved in an accident that is your fault or you damage our vehicle in some other way. There are no excess reduction fees to be paid.
No credit cards or deposits are required.
To drive an Acorn Rentals Small or Medium class of car you only have to be 18 years of age. If you are 21 or over you are able to drive any vehicle in our fleet.
When we need to provide you a vehicle from our third party supplier, you will need to be at least 21 years of age. We usually only need to do this in regional areas.
To drive an Acorn Rentals vehicle you will need to have a provisional or full drivers licence or equivalent. Overseas licences are accepted. Learner’s permits are not accepted.
When we need to provide you a vehicle from our 3rd party supplier, drivers will need to hold a full Australian or overseas driver’s licence. We usually only need to do this in regional areas.
- If you are not at fault in the accident – No. All costs are claimed from the insurance company of the at fault driver so you do not need to have your own insurance policy.
- If you are at fault in the accident – Yes, you will need to have an insurance policy that covers you for a replacement vehicle after an accident. Usually Acorn can claim the full cost of the replacement vehicle from your insurance company directly without you needing to pay us for it first or paying any extras. It depends on your insurance company and policy conditions.
Acorn Rentals have built excellent relationships with a majority of the insurance industry due to our efficient, transparent and cost saving methods. If you come across an insurance company representative that discourages you from using our service please be aware that they may be misinformed. What they tell you may not be the view of the insurance company as a whole. If you have any concerns, please contact us.
Yes, anybody can drive the replacement vehicle at no extra cost as long as they meet the age and driving licence requirements, just like your own car! It is the renter’s responsibility to ensure any other drivers meet the age and licence restrictions.
Call Acorn on 1300 22 67 67 to check eligibility for an immediate replacement. Acorn Rentals highly trained and experienced staff can also offer free advice on many other aspects of the insurance, repair and injury compensation processes if required.
Your vehicle may be not be legally drivable and should not be on the road if:
- Your doors, boot or bonnet will not open or close
- There are any exhaust gasses entering the car
- You cannot lock your car
- Any windows are smashed
- Your exterior lights/ indicators do not work or are broken
- Your mirrors are broken
- Your wheels are rubbing on the body of your car
- There are any leaks from your car
- There is any smoke or steam coming from your car
Please contact Acorn Rentals or a qualified smash repairer if you are still unsure.
No. Anyone who has lost the use of their vehicle due to a non fault accident is eligible.
There are no kilometre restrictions in Acorn Rental vehicles, just like in your own car. If we need to provide you a replacement vehicle from our third party supplier there may be some restrictions. We usually only need to do this in regional areas.
Please call Acorn on 1300 22 67 67 as soon as possible.